The Vijiji Foundation
Our social projects are managed and directed by The Vijiji Foundation, a registered non-profit organization we founded in 2013 (Registration: NGO-6497).
Our mission is to improve the lives of our people through a variety of community-driven initiatives that create lasting change.
Our Current Project: Moivaro Primary School
Moivaro Primary School is a government-funded school where nearly 1,000 children from the surrounding villages attend Grades 1 to 7. In fact, a number of The Vijiji Center staff attended Moivaro, and one of our fathers taught there for 50 years. The school also has a program for approximately 50 special needs children.
The Vijiji Foundation started working with Moivaro over a year ago to:
- plant vegetable gardens for the school lunch program and to teach the children about bio-intensive and organic farming practices;
- paint and refurbish the classrooms;
- build new washrooms to replace the existing facilities that lack running water and are nearly 40 years old.
Our future plans at Moivaro Primary School include:
- Providing electricity to the school
- Constructing a kitchen, lunchroom and a small granary so that all children can have a hot lunch (currently less than 200 children can afford to have lunch).
- Constructing a washroom for the physically disabled children
- Purchasing wheelchairs and other necessary equipment for the special needs students
By staying with us at The Vijiji Center, you are helping us to create positive change in our community.